What is mechanical engineering;
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and most diverse engineering disciplines. It is also named as the ‘mother’ branch of engineering. Almost all inventions during the ancient period and a vast majority in the modern era are direct contributions of one or the other application of mechanics.
It is the branch of engineering that involves the design, production, and operation of machinery by applying physics, engineering, mathematics, and materials science principles. From the smallest nanotechnology to society’s largest constructions such as buildings, cars, and space stations, mechanical engineers are key in their design and development. So Job opportunities for engineers especially in the Mechanical engineering department have better odds than the other departments.
It is also one that continues to change and grow with advancement in technology making it a vibrant and exciting career path even today.
Scope and job opportunities for mechanical engineering
Since mechanical engineering is the broadest of all engineering fields, the job opportunities for skilled mechanical engineers is aplenty and infinite. Mechanical engineers are required to design, test, manufacture, install, operate, and maintain a wide array of machines and mechanical systems that are used in vast industries. These professionals can find employment both in the government and private sector undertakings.
In most of the institutions, the final year students get job opportunities via campus placement drive where various private companies visit, conduct interviews and job seminars for freshers. The ones who qualify the recruitment criteria get jobs in the reputed private sector while still studying.
But all aspiring engineers tend to have a favored love for the government sector. And there are indeed very good reasons for it. Apart from the opportunity to work in prestigious companies, the salaries and the allowances that the government executives get are more than worthwhile. Then there is the parameter of job satisfaction and stability, all of which come together to make the government sector the most sought-after, career path the simple engineers.
There are huge job opportunities for Mechanical Engineers in government/PSU in the core as well as other sectors.
What is PSU?
PSUs (public sector undertaking ) are the government-owned corporations India, in which 51% or more than 51% of the paid up share capital is owned by the government of India. However, it can be only the central government or only state government of any state or central government with any state government or state governments. The job opportunities in PSUs are sufficient for engineering graduates.
What is the difference between Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) jobs and government jobs
The simple difference is like this
• A company where Government has more than 51% (below 100 always) shares & if you get a job there it’s called PSU job.
Recruiting through Gate score, special written test/ interview.
• A company where the Indian Government has 100% shares & if you get a job there it’s called Government Job.
Recruitment by central boards like UPSC, SSC, RRB.etc.
Government job opportunities for Mechanical Engineers
In India, being a government employee will keep you high in society. The real attraction of the government job is the power that is seen to come with it. In large parts of India, power is a stronger currency than money, for it is convertible into every other currency of note.
In a single word,” A GOVERNMENT JOB IS THE PLUM JOB!”
SSC JUNIOR ENGINEER:
SSC JE is conducted by staff selection commission(SSC) for the recruitment of junior engineers(JEs).
The exam is conducted to recruit candidates for Group-B (non-gazetted) posts in level-6 with seventh central pay.
• Educational qualification: A candidate should complete his/her degree/diploma in Mechanical engineering.
• Selection process: The exam is conducted in two stages paper-I (Objective) and paper-II (Descriptive).
• Organizations/Departments: Central Water Commission, Central Water and Power Research Station, National Technical Research Organization (NTRO).etc.
• SSC JE exam is conducted once a year
RRB: Railway Recruitment Board
Some Jobs profiles are:
3.Mechanical engineer(Design & Drawing)
7.Assistant Loco pilot
Qualification: Diploma and B.E/B.tech in mechanical engineering.
Selection process: The written test is conducted in two stages, medical test and physical test.
The Union Public Service Commission, is responsible for appointments and examinations for All India Service. UPSC Engineering Services recruits candidates for the technical wing of the government administration. The candidates sitting for UPSC IES can find themselves posted in different departments/services like
- Survey of India
- Indian Skill Development Service
- Indian Defense Service of Engineers
- Indian Railways Service, etc.
Click here to know more about UPSC ESE
As a student of B.E/B.tech, one has so many opportunities to join the forces in the officer cadre.
- UES – UNIVERSITY ENTRY SCHEME
- TES – TECHNICAL ENTRY SCHEME
- TGC – TECHNICAL GRADUATE COURSE
- CDS – COMBINED DEFENCE SERVICES
- AFCAT – AIR FORCE COMMON ADMISSION TEST
• TSPSC: Telangana Public Service Commission.
Name of the Post:- Assistant Executive Engineer (AEE), Assistant Engineer (AE), Polytechnic lectures, Assistant professor
Qualification:- B.E/B.tech and M.tech
• APSPSC: Andhra Pradesh state public service commission
• MPSC: Maharashtra public service commission
• TNPSC: Tamil Nadu public service commission
To know more about various recruitment boards click here
Job Opportunities in PSUs for Mechanical Engineers
Public Sector Undertaking offers one of the best career options for engineering graduates especially those who study Mechanical Engineering at the graduate level. PSU’s offers a wide range of job opportunities for recent graduates. However, the candidates must prove desirable skills and abilities to work in reputed companies that demand responsibility and honesty.
As early discussed most of the PSUs hire candidates based on GATE scorecard followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview. So, aspiring candidates must prepare well for GATE and achieve outstanding rank to be considered for the job opportunity at PSU’s.
PSUs in India are classified into three types based on various parameters such as Indian Stock Exchange, global presence, annual revenue and income generated.
Types of PSUs
List of MAHARATNA companies;
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Coal India Limited
- GAIL (India) Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- NTPC Limited
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- Steel Authority of India Limited
List of NAVRATNA companies;
- Bharat Electronics Limited
- Container Corporation of India Limited
- Engineers India Limited
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
- National Aluminum Company Limited
- NBCC (India) Limited
- NMDC Limited
- NLC India Limited
- Oil India Limited
- Power Finance Corporation Limited
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited
- Rural Electrification Corporation Limited
- Shipping Corporation of India Limited
List of MINIRATNA category-I companies;
- Airports Authority of India
- Antrix Corporation Limited
- Balmer Lawrie & Co. Limited
- Bharat Coking Coal Limited
- Bharat Dynamics Limited
- BEML Limited
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Bridge & Roof Company (India) Limited
- Central Warehousing Corporation
- Central Coalfields Limited
- Central Mine Planning & Design Institute Limited
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Cochin Shipyard Limited
- Cotton Corporation of India Limited
- EdCIL (India) Limited
- Kamarajar Port Limited
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited
- Goa Shipyard Limited
- Hindustan Copper Limited
- HLL Lifecare Limited
- Hindustan Newsprint Limited
- Hindustan Paper Corporation Limited
- Housing & Urban Development Corporation Limited
- HSCC (India) Limited
- India Tourism Development Corporation Limited
- Indian Rare Earths Limited
- Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Limited
- Indian Railway Finance Corporation Limited
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited
- India Trade Promotion Organization
- IRCON International Limited
- KIOCL Limited
- Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
- MOIL Limited
- Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemical Limited
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited
- MMTC Limited
- MSTC Limited
- National Fertilizers Limited
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited
- National Small Industries Corporation Limited
- National Seeds Corporation
- NHPC Limited
- Northern Coalfields Limited
- North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited
- Numaligarh Refinery Limited
- ONGC Videsh Limited
- Pawan Hans Helicopters Limited
- Projects & Development India Limited
- Railtel Corporation of India Limited
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Limited
- RITES Limited
- SJVN Limited
- Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited
- South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
- THDC India Limited
- Western Coalfields Limited
- WAPCOS Limited
List of MINIRATNA category-II Companies;
- Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India
- Bharat Pumps & Compressors Limited
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited
- Central Railside Warehouse Company Limited
- Engineering Projects (India) Limited
- FCI Aravali Gypsum & Minerals India Limited
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited
- HMT (International) Limited
- Indian Medicines & Pharmaceuticals Corporation Limited
- MECON Limited
- National Film Development Corporation Limited
- Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments
Click here to download the complete list of PSUs.
Here I am going to discuss job opportunities in few PSUs
BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED (BHEL)
BHEL is the engineering and manufacturing company, involved in the design, engineering, construction, testing, commissioning and servicing and catering to the needs of the economy through power generation, transmission, industry, transportation, oil and gas, renewable energy, defense, energy storage solutions, etc.
- Candidates interested in joining BHEL as Engineer Trainee (ET) will have to appear for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- On the basis of the GATE marks and requirement, candidates will be shortlisted for Interview in order of merit in the ratio of 1:10 to the number of vacancies in each category.
OIL AND NATURAL GAS CORPORATION (ONGC)
ONGC is the largest crude oil and natural gas company in India, contributing to 70% of Indian domestic production. It recruits engineers from various streams of engineering.
- The Selection Criteria of ONGC Recruitment through GATE includes three parts GATE Scores, Interview Performance, and Qualification Record.
DRDO (Defense Research and Development Organization)
DRDO is an organization which is involved in R&D for the Ministry of Defense, GOI. It is responsible to offer technologies and services as per the requirement of the defense sector. Working with DRDO is a prestigious opportunity.
- Candidates who hold a BE or B.tech degree in the mechanical engineering branch can apply for job openings at DRDO for ME qualified candidates, the minimum eligibility criteria to apply is the first division at the graduate level and qualification in NET or GATE.
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is a nuclear research centre in India established in 1945. The center is responsible for carrying research on nuclear and accelerator technologies and heads in nuclear power plant production.
Being a part of BARC is a prestigious moment and one gets a chance to work with top researchers, engineering, expertise and contribute in the field. The demand for skilled engineers is always high at the center. Every year BARC hires BE/ B.tech candidates through GATE.
- B.E/ B.tech Mechanical Engineering graduates can apply for the position of Scientific Officer ‘C’ Post through gate scorecard.
NATIONAL THERMAL POWER CORPORATION (NTPC)
NTPC is the largest power company, engaged in the generation of electricity. It contributes to 25% of the total power generation. The company is also involved in the consultancy and turnkey project which includes engineering, project management, construction management, and management of power plants. Apart from its core business, it is also involved in gas exploration and coal mining activities.
- NTPC recruits engineers for the post of executive trainees through the GATE exam.